Kumar Rajiv Nayan

Ara : A middle age woman died under mysterious circumstances on the campus of Piro police station (PS) in Bhojpur District in South Bihar on September 12, 2021, while under police custody. Police said that the woman committed suicide while her family members alleged that police thrashed her to death. Piro DSP has ordered an inquiry into the matter.

Later, police brought the body over to Ara Sadar Hospital for post-mortem. Several bruises were seen on the body of the deceased. The deceased was identified as Shobha Devi, 46, wife of Munnu Prasad alias Munnu Kahar of Mahadalit community of village Mothi under Piro PS. She was in police custody for the last three days although she was not named in any FIR nor any complaint was pending against her. Police had to present her before the court within 24 hours of her arrest but they did not do so.

SHO, Piro PS, said that police brought Shobha Devi to the  police station on September 9, 2021, for quizzing her in connection with a murder case and kept her at the police stationbut she died under mysterious circumstances on September 12, 2021. When queried  whether Shobha Devi was named accused in the FIR or any complaint was pending against her, the SHO refused to say anything on the matter.

Bhojpur SP Vinay Tiwari said that Shobha Devi was brought to the police station for interrogation three days ago in connection with a murder case where she committed suicide. When asked whether she was an accused or any FIR was lodged against her or police kept her at the police station merely on suspicion, the SP said that the Piro DSP has ordered inquiry into the matter.

It may be mentioned here that a deshi Chikitsak Mantosh Kumar was killed at village Morath under Piro police station recently andpolice had brought Shobha Devi over to the police station to quiz her on September 9, 2021.

Santosh Prasad, brother of the deceased, said that police had recovered a body from near Shobha Devi’s house some days ago and arrested her along with her teenage son Prakash Kumar who had come home the same day. He demanded justice to the deceased and action against police personnel responsible for the incident.