Speed Post News Network

New Delhi : The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has taken a suo-moto cognizance of media reports that an 18-year-old survivor from Muzaffarpur girls’ Shelter Home in Bihar where many inmates had been abused for years, was allegedly gangraped in a moving car on September 14, 2019, night, less than 14 months after being rehabilitated and reunited with her family on the orders of a local court. The NHRC has observed that the contents of the news reports, if true, amounts to violation of human rights of the girl who fell prey to perverts with criminal instincts twice and police are yet to arrest the accused.

Accordingly, the Commission has issued notices to Chief Secretary (CS) and DGP, Bihar, calling for a detailed report in the matter within four weeks along with status of the FIR registered by  police. And it has also directed the state authorities to provide the victim proper counselling and medical assistance to help her overcome the trauma and lead a normal life.

The NHRC shelter has further observed that apparently the girl has become victim of State’s apathy. She was unfortunately amongst the victims of sexual abuse at Muzaffarpur Girls’ Shelter Home about five years back. The victimisation of the girl twice, indicates towards sheer lawlessness in the State of Bihar, it said, according to an NHRC release. The criminals are committing heinous crimes at their free will without any fear of law.

After the infamous incident of sexual abuse of the inmates, which occurred in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar and jolted the nation, the state machinery and the law enforcing agencies should have been more vigilant so that no anti-social element could gather courage to commit an offence harming dignity of a woman, the NHRC said.

According to the news reports, carried on September 16, 2019, the girl lodged a complaint with Bettiah town police station in Bihar’s West Champaran district on September 15, 2019, saying that she was abducted in a car after being waylaid on her way to a relative’s house and was gangraped.

After committing the heinous crime, the accused dropped the victim near her house but the girl was reportedly so frightened that she didn’t report the incident to anyone. She reported the matter to police the next day and an FIR against four accused (whose names have been mentioned by the victim) has been registered. Two of the accused are reportedly brothers and none of the accused has been arrested so far. SHO, Bettiah Police Station, has reportedly stated that they are awaiting the medical report of the victim.

It is mentioned in the news report that the Assistant Director of Bettiah Child Protection Unit has also met the girl at the hospital. She has stated that the victim girl has been living with her family since July 2018 and was starting to reclaim her life when this tragic incident happened.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *